My new journey - IT Tallaght

Institute of Technology Tallaght

This was one of the biggest changes that I think I ever made to my life and I am still in disbelief for this amazing opportunity.  I was a secondary school school teacher in St Conleth's Community College Newbridge (that is where I met my wife!). I never thought that I would ever be a lecturer.

The person who completely changed that for me was the head of computing in IT Tallaght - Dr. Barry Feeney. Two years ago I was lucky enough to be able to start in IT Tallaght as a part time evening Lecturer, where I delivered Software Development 1 (CS1) and Management Science. I was mid way into my PhD and this was the boost in confidence that I needed. I met Dr. Barry Feeney at a talk I gave to the computing forum where he was so supportive of the research that I was doing. In the second year of my part time evening lecturing in ITT I was lucky enough to teach CS1 and CS2. This was an amazing experience and delivered through Java. This was the the opportunity I needed to build enough confidence to apply for a full time position. 

I was successful in my application for a full time associate lecturing position when the opportunity presented itself, and started this year. I am currently teaching CS1, CS2 and Machine Learning to Part Time students. I am also project supervisor for several 4th year Software Development students. I also have the role of 4th year part time Data Analytics project coordinator and I have to say the experiences have all been amazing. In addition, my cherished role is that of second level student engagement. For this role I travel to secondary school schools and deliver computing camps for around two hours when I can help show students what computer science really is. I will expand on this role more in upcoming blog posts!

I can not wait to see what other possibilities are available in ITT.